This is the first message on prayer from Ephesians 6:18. Lesson 1: Be creative in prayer.
Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- 1. As a church pastor-elder, what foundational, Christian principles do you learn from Acts 6:2, 4 that you must never forget?
That the primary responsibilities of church elders are prayer and the preaching/teaching of God’s Word.
- 2. What are some models that we can use for our prayer lives?
Using a prayer book, the prayers of the apostle Paul, using hymns, example of men like F.F. Bruce.
- 3. Why is personal prayer so important for elders in shepherding God's people.
All that we do is dependent on prayer, especially teaching the Word of God.
- What are some typical things that hinder us from praying consistently?
- What are some things an elder can do to make his prayer more regular, consistent and enjoyable?
- Memorize Acts 6:4.
- Choose one of Paul’s letters and meditate on his opening prayer for the readers. Write out a prayer for your church using Paul’s prayer as a model, but use your own words.
A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers by D.A. Carson